Tips for effective interviewing
Before/During the interview:
- Do your homework – research the company, learn about the organization’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Have an understanding of the job requirements.
- Arrive early.
- Dress professionally.
- Know how you can become a valuable asset to the organization
- Remember: the first impression is often a deciding factor. Decisions as to whether or not you get the job usually occur within the first 20 seconds of the interview!
- Introduce yourself and offer a firm handshake.
- Be friendly but businesslike.
- Try to appear somewhat relaxed rather than rigid.
- Sit up straight, listen attentively, and make eye contact.
- Project enthusiasm, flexibility, ease of communication, sincerity, and willingness to take on more than the duties detailed in the job description.
Questions to ask when interviewing
- Tell me a little about yourself
- Why should I hire you?
- Have you ever encountered major problems and how did you overcome them?
- What have you learned from your mistakes/successes?
About College Experiences:
- What courses did you like best/least in college and why?
- What school activities have you participated in?
- Why did you choose your major in BCN?
- How has your coursework prepared you for this job?
- Do you think your grades are a good indicator of your academic achievement?
- Do you have plans for advanced study/advanced degree?
About Work Experience:
- Tell me about past part-time/full-time/internship experiences
- Describe your experiences.
- What level of decision-making authority were you given?
- Describe your relationship with your supervisor.
- Give me some examples of your work experience in which you demonstrated tenacity, integrity, and honesty. Etc.
About Goals and Interests:
- What are your goals for this job?
- Did you contribute financially to your education?
- What do you expect to be earning in —- years?
- What do you do in your spare time for enjoyment?
- Are you willing to relocate? Travel?
Questions on your personal characteristics:
- How would you describe yourself?
- How would your friends describe you?
- Describe yourself using five adjectives, then using three of them; give specific examples of your performance.
- How well do you work under pressure? Give me some examples.
- In what type of work environment are you most comfortable
- How do you evaluate or determine success?
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- How often do you update your security protocols?