M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Construction Management
1935 BCN began as a program under the Department of Architecture. BCN is the oldest continuing building construction program in the country.
1948 Master’s degree program was created; first in the U.S.
1957 Building Construction became a department under Professor Herman Block.
1965 Professor Loys Johnson became chairman of the department. In March 1965, he invited representatives of other schools of construction to meet at the University of Florida to form an organization. The name Associated Schools of Construction was adopted, with eight schools attending. Later that year the first meeting was held at Michigan State, with 24 schools represented. There are now 92 member schools.
1971 Founding of the American Institute of Constructors (AIC), with Professor Johnson as one of the charter members. One of the first projects of the AIC, was to set up a nationally recognized group for accreditation of construction programs, from which the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE) was formed.
1975 The College of Architecture & Fine Arts was divided into two Colleges, with BCN going into the College of Architecture.
1976 BCN became among the first construction programs in the country to be accredited by the American Council for Construction Education.
1976 BCN became the School of Building Construction.
1977 BCN was recognized by the Associated General Contractors as an outstanding construction program.
1988 A Ph.D. degree with concentration in Building Construction was offered through the College of Architecture.
Center for Affordable Housing was created.
1989 The School was renamed the M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Building Construction.
1991 Center for Affordable Housing was named Shimberg Center for Affordable Housing.
Center for Construction and the Environment and Center for Safety and Loss Control were created.
1997 The National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) became affiliated with the Rinker School and moved to Gainesville.
1997 The Rinker School began it’s 4+1 bachelor/master’s degree.
1998 An undergraduate track in residential construction was offered.
1999 A graduate track in Sustainable Construction was offered.
The undergraduate Fire and Emergency Services (FES) program and the Master in International Construction Management program were started. Both of these programs are delivered via the internet.
2000 College of Architecture renamed “College of Design, Construction and Planning.”
2002 Center for Construction and the Environment was renamed Powell Center for Construction and the Environment.
2003 The School moved to its new building, Rinker Hall, the 26th building in the U.S. to have been awarded LEED Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council.
2004 Charles Perry Crafts Awareness Program was created.
2005 BCN Regional Clubs were formed in Tampa, Jacksonville, Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, Gainesville/Ocala, Orlando, Fort Myers/Naples, and Atlanta.
2007 Charles R. Perry Construction Yard was dedicated. The facility has a green roof, which is the first of its kind on the University of Florida campus.
2014 The School was renamed the M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Construction Management.
TODAY The Rinker School has over 7050 graduates (6000 BS, 1000 MS, and 50 PhD), 150 upper division students, 100 Master’s students, 30 PhD students, 20 faculty, and 13 support staff.