FAQs – Fire and Emergency Services

Are the FES Program courses available both on-campus and online?

No, FES is an online distance learning program. All FES courses are conveniently delivered utilizing a web-based e-Learning system.

What are the requirements for admission to the degree program?

The FES Program is designed as the junior and senior coursework of a four-year degree. Transfer requirements include:

  • An Associate of Arts degree from a Florida public community or state college, or 60 transferable credits from a regionally accredited college or university (may require additional coursework to satisfy general education course requirements).
  • Meet foreign language proficiency with either 2 years of high school foreign language, or 8 -10 college credits (same language).
  • Have a minimum 2.3 cumulative GPA.

We recommend contacting the FES Advisor to review your qualifications prior to submitting an application, 352-273-1063 or FESUndergraduate@dcp.ufl.edu.

What if I want to take a few courses, but am not ready to pursue a degree?

If you have not completed the requirements for admission to the degree program, or have short term or career advancement goals, or a need for quickly attainable specialty education, you can take courses to earn a certificate in FES Management, EMS Management, Emergency Management, or Senior Fire Officer as a certificate student.
We recommend contacting the FES Advisor to review your qualifications prior to submitting an application.

How and when do I apply?

  • For the bachelor’s degree program: complete a TRANSFER/READMISSION application. You will need to pay the application fee and have official transcript(s) sent to the Office of Admissions. The deadline to apply for Summer A/C semester is March 1; Fall is June 1; Spring is September 15. Contact the Office of Admissions if you have any questions about your application or submitting your transcripts, 352-392-1365.
  • For the certificate student: choose the CERTIFICATE application. You will need to pay the application fee and have official transcript(s) sent to the Office of Admissions.

Can I get financial aid?

Contact Student Financial Affairs

Who do I contact about Veteran’s benefits?

Contact the Office of Veterans Services

How and when do I pay for my courses?

Go to your Student Self Service, login with your Gatorlink username and password, click on Financial Services, then Make a Payment. Electronic check is a free service; credit card payments have a service charge. If you mail a check, it must be received by the due date (not the postmarked date).
The deadline for payment each semester can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog
Contact the University Bursar if you have questions about your payment.

Are there required textbooks to buy?

Students generally purchase their books online. You can also check with the UF Bookstore

Where do I find my courses?

Go to your Student Self Service, click on My Record, then e-Learning, and login with your GatorLink username and password.

Who do I contact if I forgot my username or password?

Contact the Help Desk at 352-392-HELP (4357). Have your UFID number ready to give them.

When are courses offered?

Our program follows UF’s calendar with courses offered Spring, Summer A/C, and Fall semesters. Academic dates are found in the Undergraduate Catalog

Are all classes offered each semester?

No, click on Curriculum Overview on the FES website to see when courses are offered.

How do I register for courses?


Can I skip a semester and not register for a class?

Yes, one semester, but if you skip two semesters or more without registering for a class (for example, you took a course in spring, but skipped summer and fall semesters), you’ll need to submit one of the following applications before you can register again:

  • If you are a degree student, you will need to submit a readmission application, http://www.admissions.ufl.edu/start.html, choose TRANSFER/READMISSION. Pay the application fee and provide any additional information the Office of Admissions requests to update your file since your absence from UF.
  • If you are a certificate student, choose the CERTIFICATE application.

What is UF’s policy for dropping and adding courses?

Courses can be dropped or added during the drop/add period without a penalty. During Spring and Fall semesters, this period is the first week of classes; Summer A/C drop/add is allowed the first 2 days of classes. The dates for the drop/add period each semester can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog

Can I withdraw from my courses?

UF policies and instructions for dropping a course after the drop/add period or withdrawing from all your courses can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog

How do I get a UF Gator 1 (student) ID card?

You can order a student ID card online through the UF Bookstore. You will not be able to order a card until you are registered for a course.

How do I contact my professor?

The faculty provide their contact information in each of their courses including office or cell number, an email address, and times when they can be reached. Please do not hesitate to contact your instructor with a question or concern.

Can I attend a graduation ceremony?

Yes, we hope you will come and walk in one of the graduation ceremonies! The FES Program Advisor sends out the information each semester with the important steps and dates you need to follow to finally graduate!

Can I get football tickets?

Yes! You can get in the football lottery or purchase tickets that become available by contacting the Gator Ticket Office, 352-375-GoUF (4683) or 800-34-GATOR (42867).

Is this degree as valid/equal to an on-campus UF degree?

Yes, there is no difference in the degree you receive whether you are taking courses online in a distance learning program or you are an on-campus student. You will receive a Bachelor of Science in Fire & Emergency Services from the University of Florida.

Still, have a question?


Keith Collins
Admissions Officer II
(352) 273-1063

Scroll to Top