- Location: Baton Rouge, LA / Cambridge, MA
- Duration: Full-time, Minimum 1 Year
NuVu is reimagining K-12 education by building the school of the future. NuVu is a place where students and teachers explore ideas outside of disciplinary boundaries and immerse themselves in the innovation process. Under the guidance of designers and experts, middle and high school students solve problems through a critical, rigorous, and iterative process. Our pedagogy is rooted in the architectural design studio, but our team has expertise in industrial design, architecture, robotics, engineering, fashion, art, music, filmmaking, and graphic design; this diversity fosters the innovative environment that complements the passion and potential of young learners.
We are seeking a candidate with interests in design, technology and education to join our team as a “Coach” at one of our partner schools, the Episcopal School of Baton Rouge. Our Coaches are responsible for leading studios where they brainstorm, design, and create with the students. They also work alongside other Coaches and experts from various fields in a dynamic studio setting.
The NuVu Design + Technology Fellow will be a Coach based at the Episcopal School of Baton Rouge who will assist in the development of studio projects. The Fellow, in conjunction with Coaches from NuVu in Cambridge, will be a key resource for students in the design and execution of projects over the course of the school year. An ideal candidate is passionate about education and excited about expanding their own knowledge and creativity.
As a Design + Technology Fellow, your responsibilities will include
- Aiding in the implementation of studios on a wide range of topics with the support of the NuVu Team
- Teaching fundamental technical and design skills
- Giving critical feedback to students about their ideas and their prototypes
- Guiding students in realizing complex projects
- Supporting student progress reporting
- A passion for working with high school students
- Design, programming, electronics, and mechanics expertise
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in a design or design-tech field such as architecture, computational design, or industrial design, or equivalent experience.
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with a diverse group of people
- Proficiency with CAD and fabrication
- Teaching experience
- Strong writing and graphic communication abilities
- A strong understanding of the design and making process: brainstorming, ideating, and prototyping
- Ability to think both conceptually and concretely about projects
- Proficiency with wood shop tools, digital fabrication, 3D printers and CNC machining
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and 3D modeling software (Rhino and Fusion preferred)
- Proficiency with Arduino and designing with electronics
Start date and duration
The Design Fellow will begin their employment in Cambridge, MA on June 19, 2017 (or earlier), and will then move and begin work at the Episcopal School of Baton Rouge in early August, 2017. The duration of the fellowship is one year, with the option to return for a second year.
Compensation begins at $60,000 per year and is adjusted based on experience. As an employee of NuVu Studio, the Fellow will receive medical and dental coverage.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and portfolio to Emily Glass at email@example.com.