What is your current role and what does it entail?
Interim Assistant Dean for Graduate Education
The responsibilities include:
• Ensuring the effective running of the college’s graduate programs
• Overseeing SAC’s performance assessment of graduate programs
• Coordinating with the Graduate School and DCP units to recruit and retain graduate students while fostering diversity
• Working with the DCP Ph.D. Coordinator to develop programs for mentoring Ph.D. students
• Working with the DCP Ph.D. Coordinator to support the doctoral core curriculum and issues relating to the doctoral research faculty
• Representing the college with the Graduate School and with the Graduate Council
• Overseeing the selection of GSFA and Grinter allocation, and the Graduate School Mentor/Advisor award
• Supporting the Diversity Liaison Program
• Serving as a member of the College Administrative Council
• Undertake other duties as assigned by the Dean
How long have you been at DCP and what previous roles have you served here?
I have been at DCP for eight years and served on various committees supporting the academic mission of the University, DCP and the School of Architecture. These activities include:
• Member of the University of Florida’s Mission Statement Task Force
• Member of the University of Florida Faculty Senate
• UF campus committee for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program
• The University Minority Mentor Program (UMMP)
• Coordinator of the newly-established DCP Research Seminar Series
• Equity Officer for the College of Design, Construction and Planning
• Architecture Technology Committee
What inspires you?
I find inspiration in the everyday. I get a lot of inspiration from spaces and places that integrate nature in innovative ways. The experience of interaction with my family and friends is my daily source of inspiration. I find my deepest well of inspiration simply in the process of innovation using technology. I open myself to a world where anything is possible.
Most influential people in your life.
There are a lot of people who have had tremendous influence in my life. My parents have been two of the major influences but our neighbors and friends have also been a unique influence in my life. I wouldn’t be where I am today without any of them. Thank you all so much!
What do you think is the most exciting trend in your field today?
The advances of information technology applications in the automation of building design and how academia is going to restructure the curricula to introduce these innovations to our students. In particular, I’m excited about innovations contributing to and advancing the transformation of academia and practice into the integrated environment.