Website City of Rockville
This position performs intermediate technical work assisting with the execution of the City planning program. The primary responsibility of this position is to perform the functions of the Planning Technician, assisting planners with tasks associated with the review of land use applications. As a secondary responsibility, the incumbent may perform functions of the Permit Technician, such as: intake and administrative work related to construction permits, inspections, plan review, and rental community enhancement operations. The incumbents work is directed by city planners, plan reviewers, and inspectors with supervision by the Development Services Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Functions of the Planning Technician
- Receives/accepts for filing a variety of planning, forestry, and land use applications; reviews for completeness and other related tasks as required.
- Sets-up and maintains electronic files and if necessary hard copy files.
- Answers promptly and accurately questions over the phone, in person, and via email, from developers and the public concerning general planning department projects, the Master Plan, and other inquiries related to the planning function, which requires a higher skill level.
- Assists the public to locate useful information, to comply with City requirements, and to follow required procedures.
- May research and compile information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources, which requires a higher skill level.
- Assists in the preparation of agenda packets and posting of agenda for meetings before the Planning Commission, Board of Appeals, and Historic District Commission; assists in setting rooms up for public meetings and other related tasks as required.
- Manages the content of the Department’s Development Watch webpage and other related tasks; assists with the updating of other information on the Department’s webpage as necessary.
- Assists in the recording of records plats at the courthouse and other related tasks as required.
- Assists with assigning property addresses.
- Assists in the release of bonds; and other related tasks as required.
- May research deeds to ascertain facts needed to clarify zoning and land use questions, which requires a higher skill level.
- May process minor planning applications and building permits for compliance with planning and zoning regulations, which requires a higher skill level.
- May prepares maps, charts, tables and other presentation materials which requires a higher skill level.
Essential Function of the Permit Technician
- Reviews construction plans and rental applications for procedural completeness. Determines if applications are complete and accurate based on applicable City, County and State licensing requirements. Provides applicant with information on deficiencies and measures necessary for acceptable submission of applications. Enters case applications on Permit Plans and updates information in the system frequently.
- Processes permit applications to include building, residential, commercial, and Historic District applications.
- Verifies and assures payment of fees for permits and licenses.
- Ensures that all licensees have a current City license, sending notification for license renewal, reviewing applications and issuing licenses. Licensees include electricians, plumbers, gas fitters, landlords, etc.
- Maintains specialized filing system for tracking status of all pending and issued licenses (electricians, plumbers, gas fitters, single family, apartments, accessory apartments, motels and inns).
- Creates and issues all deficiency notices, final notices, appointments for rental program, general violation notices.
- Reviews and issues permit for Walk-Through Fire Protection Systems. May review and issue some accessory structure permits (designated as Walk-Through permits)
- Screens all incoming calls and visitors, and answers questions regarding regulations and procedures for obtaining permits/licenses or routs them as appropriate.
- Verifies correct parcel information.
- Informs applicants of permit status.
- Responds to phone complaints and enters information in Permit Plan, then routs caller to inspection staff as appropriate.
- Responds to written requests regarding record information.
High School diploma or equivalent and two years of related experience including six (6) months of work in customer service or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred and can substitute for one year of experience. Knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office, database software, and understanding of computer-related equipment are strongly preferred.
Strong customer service and organizational skills, the ability to be a reliable team member and to work independently are requirements for this position. Education and/or experience in local government, land development or urban planning is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to provide information to planners and other interested parties, and to convey concise and accurate explanations concerning various planning ordinances and procedures.
- Ability to make decisions recognizing established precedents and practices, and to use resourcefulness and tact in meeting new problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and to deal tactfully with developers, engineers, and the public in the resolution of difficult and contentious matters.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, and GIS
- Knowledge of the procedures and requirements for the inspection of commercial and residential structures, rental properties and community enhancement programs.
- Knowledge of the procedures for filing and processing building, zoning, and general complaints.
- Ability to work well under time constraints and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to deal with aggressive and unpredictable client behavior.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of urban planning, zoning and development.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com