Department of Urban and Regional Planning

Measures of Student Achievement

Student Achievement as Determined by the Program

Alumni satisfaction with the applicability of coursework to job preparation: An on-line alumni survey conducted in 2011 with 49 alumni responding found that over 76% were either very satisfied or satisfied regarding how well the program prepared them for their initial job. An additional 14% indicated a neutral response to the question. A previous mail-in survey conducted in 2004 with the same question found a level of satisfaction at 87.3% with an additional 11% indicating that they felt minimally prepared. [Please note that these surveys were not limited to recent alumni (graduated within the last 5 years), nor did they allow us to cross-tabulate the answer regarding satisfaction with the program against years since graduation. We anticipate conducting this survey again in 2017-18 and will design the survey to provide this data specifically for alumni who have graduated within the past 5 years.]

Internship Supervisor Evaluations: Students are required to complete an internship, which they do typically within their first year of the program. While they can meet the internship requirement in the fall, spring, or summer semesters, most students choose to complete the internship in the summer. During the past year, a total of 18 out of 77 students (23% of students currently actively enrolled in the MURP program) completed an internship. Of the 18 students who completed internships, the average employer evaluation rating was 1.10 on a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is excellent and 5 indicates improvement is needed.

Cost for a Full-time Student for One Academic Year

Tuition and fee estimates for 2016-17: Costs for incoming graduate students can be found on the Student Financial Affairs webpage. These figures are estimates for graduate students entering UF for the first time; costs for continuing students may be lower. Additional information regarding tuition and fees may be found on the University Bursar’s webpage.

Student Retention and Graduation Rates

Number of degrees granted in 2016: In 2016, the number of degrees granted was 20, reflecting the total from spring, summer, and fall graduations.

Graduation rates: The percentage of students who enrolled in the program during 2012-13 and graduated within 4 years was 67%.  The percentage of master’s students who enrolled in the program during the 2011-12 academic year who completed the degree in four years was 61%. The percentage of master’s students who enrolled in the program during the 2010-11 academic year who completed the degree in four years was 66%.

Retention rates: The percentage of first-year students who started in Fall 2015 and re-enrolled in Fall 2016 was 95% (of the 19 students who enrolled in Fall 2015, 18 enrolled in Fall 2016). The percentage of first-year students who started in Fall 2014 and re-enrolled in Fall 2015 was 88%.The percentage of first-year students who started in Fall 2013 and re-enrolled in Fall 2014 was 100%.

AICP Pass Rate – percentage of alumni who took the exam within 3 years of graduation and passed: The UF MURP pass rate for those who graduated in 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009 and took the exam within 3 years of graduating was consistently 100%.  For the graduating class of 2008 who took the exam, the pass rate was 83% and for the graduating class of 2007, it was 89%.  The pass rate for the graduating class of 2006 who took the exam was 100%.  Please note, some of our students worked in planning while in the program and thus were able to qualify for the AICP exam earlier than the typical 2-year period.

Employment Rate – Competitiveness in the job market:  Of the 21 full time 2015 graduates whom we have located, 67% are employed as planners or in planning related jobs and another 19% decided to continue their education.  Of those 14 alumni who are working in planning, 29% are working in the private sector, and the remaining 71% are working in the public sector.  Of the 11 full time 2014 graduates who we have located, 55% are employed as planners or in planning related jobs; another 36% are pursuing doctoral degrees with a focus on planning.  Of those 6 alumni who are working in planning, 50% are working in the private sector, and the remaining 50% are working in the public sector.  Of the 12 full time 2013 graduates whom we have located, 100% are employed as planners or in planning related jobs – 67% are in private sector jobs, and the remaining 33% are employed in the public sector.  Of the 15 full-time 2012 graduates whom we have located, 87% are employed as planners or in planning related jobs.  Of those 14 alumni who are working in planning, 36% are in the private sector and the remaining 64% are in the public sector.  Of the 30 full-time 2011 graduates whom we have located, only one is unemployed. Of the 29 employed graduates, 86.2% are working in planning or a planning related job. Of those 25 alumni who are working in planning, 48% are working in the private sector, most of these for consulting firms.