Smita Sahoo-Distinguished Young Alum, Lecture: Smita Sahoo Lecture
MID Alum, Smita Sahoo, currently Associate Director of bkl Architecture received our Distinguished Young Alum Award this year. She also received UF’s 2018 UFAA Outstanding Young Alumni Award on April 14th, and as an awardee, attended the Orange & Blue game with UF’s President Fuchs. ‘The Outstanding Young Alumni Award recipients have graduated within the last ten years and are leaders in their profession and community. They possess an unmistakable tradition of achievement and a commitment to further strengthening the Gator Nation®. They are Gators who are truly making a difference in our world for the Gator Good.’
Trained in both architecture and interior design, Smita’s approach to design is about interior architecture, form, spatial relationships and curating memorable user experiences. Born and bought up in India, Smita’s work is influenced by the complexity of Indian culture, details, blend of materials, textures, light and color. This blend of eastern and western influence brings an interesting perspective to the design approach
In her 12 years of work experience (In several locations – Atlanta, Boston and Chicago and for leading design firms Perkins + Will and bklarchitecture), she has enjoyed the challenges and opportunities of working on a diverse range of projects in corporate interiors, commercial and high rise residential. Her focus is on creating effective and visually stimulating design solutions by a holistic and synergistic approach that encompasses the disciplines of architecture, interior design, fashion and graphics. She is typically engaged in every phase of the project starting from the design phase through final construction. Her strength in architectural 3d visualization, modelling and rendering during the early stages of design allows the clients to become visually interactive with the project spaces. In the final phase of construction administration, she enjoys the opportunities for construction related problem solving.
As an associate director at bKL Architecture, Smita’s roles and responsibility involves being the design lead on several projects, mentoring junior staff as well as being a part of marketing / business development activities. Currently, she leads the marketing and business development strategies to help grow the firm’s nascent interiors practice.
She is involved in the Chicago’s real estate community and several charity organization. She serves on the board for CoreNET Global’s Chicago chapter and is the co-chair for the membership committee.
Organizations involved for Charity work:
- Chicagoland food depositary
- CoreNET – Anixter center volunteer work
- City of hope
- CoreNET – Annual toy drive
- IIDA Global Excellence Award – Project King Abdullah Specialist Children Hospital (IIDA Global Excellence Awards honor and celebrate outstanding originality and excellence in the creation of international Interior Design/ Interior Architecture projects)
- Building Industry Award – Project US Bank Private Client Reverse
- The CAMME (Chicagoland Apartment Marketing and Management Excellence) Awards – Project Exhibit at Superior- see: http://bklarchitecture.com/projects/exhibit-on-superior-chicago/
- Best New Building Award, Friends of Downtown – Project Exhibit at Superior