Please note that the First Professional Master’s Program begins in May (Summer A).
- Applicants must have an undergraduate degree (we accept students from a wide range of undergraduate majors)
- Applicants are required to take the GRE (currently waived for applicants starting in Fall 2021 or earlier).
- Minimum acceptable undergraduate GPA is 3.0
- Those who speak English as a second language should consult the University’s English Proficiency Requirements https://admissions.ufl.edu/apply/graduate/
Applicants are required to submit their applications online through the UF Admissions website. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis but applications should be finalized by February 1.
Applications received after February 1 will be reviewed at the Department’s discretion. Early submissions are encouraged. Please note that students must begin the First Professional program in May.
Although a personal interview is not required for admission, we encourage applicants to visit and meet faculty, staff and students. If you plan to visit, please contact Dan Manley at email@example.com to arrange a meeting and a tour of our facilities.
A complete application package includes:
- Completed application form
- Application fee payment
- Transcripts from all previous colleges
- Letter of introduction and intent (this letter should describe the student’s background and interest in studying landscape architecture)
- Three recommendation letters
- Official test scores
All required admission information should be directly uploaded to the UF Admissions website.
First Professional program applicants with no prior experience in landscape architecture or the allied professions are not required to submit a portfolio.
First Professional program applicants with relevant experience in landscape architecture, art, or design that wish to be considered for course waivers in the first year (i.e., the Pre-MLA as outlined in the FPMLA curriculum) are required to provide a portfolio that demonstrates proficiency in the studio course and construction courses listed. Please upload a pdf of your portfolio to the UF Admissions website. If the file size is too large for the admission website, you may email the file to the Program Assistant. Alternatively, you may email the Program Assistant a link to a web-based portfolio hosting service (e.g., www.issuu.com). Only provide examples that are the sole work of the applicants (i.e. no group projects unless the work is CLEARLY identified as part of a team effort and the applicant’s precise role with the project detailed).
Applicants with previous formal training in landscape architecture or an allied discipline should include examples that demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
- Hand graphics (including line drawings and rendered samples of plans, sections/ perspectives, etc.)
- Digital graphics (including line drawings and rendered samples of plans, sections/ perspectives, photomontage, publication design, etc.)
- Design process drawings
- Grading and storm water management plans
- Construction layout and details (graphic and innovative)
- Site analysis/synthesis examples
- Site design and planning
- Planting design
- Design projects at varying scales
For more information about the admissions process, visit UF’s Office of Admissions.
International Student Requirements
If you are a non-US applicant, please visit the Office of Admissions’ Prospective International Student Site. Be sure to send your Certificate of Financial Responsibility to the UF International Center.
First Professional Master’s students in the Pre-MLA year join undergraduate students on a week-long field trip visiting urban environments including such destinations as San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and New York City. Students visit noteworthy built projects and prominent professional firms and public agencies.
Refer to the Department’s Laptop Computer Requirements
UF Graduate School’s Estimated Annual Budget
UF Graduate School’s Financial Aid Page
Academic Common Market (for out-of-state students)
Graduate School Homepage
UF Graduate Program Online Application
Application Form for US Citizens and Permanent Residents
Application Form for Non-US Applicants
Certificate of Financial Responsibility (for international students)
Recommendation Letter Form
For additional information or assistance, please contact:
Vanessa Niblett, Program Assistant
School of Landscape Architecture & Planning
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611-5706
Dan Manley, Graduate Coordinator