Fully Funded Ph.D. in Urban Planning at University of Florida
Fully funded Ph.D. student positions in Urban Planning starting Spring/Fall 2024 are available in the International Center for Adaptation Planning and Design (iAdapt, https://dcp.ufl.edu/iadapt/) at University of Florida (UF).
The iAdapt at University of Florida (UF) is seeking highly-motivated applicants to conduct multidisciplinary research in the areas of:
- AI-Enabled Urban Planning: smart city planning, transportation planning and management, urban computing and spatial analysis.
- Climate Adaptation Planning: adaptation planning for climate change, resilience planning, infrastructure resilience and urban resilience.
- Urban Transportation System Dynamics: autonomous public transportation systems, mobility on demand, transportation and environment, transportation and land use, transportation economics.
All Ph.D. students are expected to obtain a master’s degree in Computer Science related fields (https://www.cise.ufl.edu/academics/graduate/masters-program/) while pursuing your doctoral degree. In another word, you will be expected to earn two degrees in four years, one in Ph.D. in Design, Construction and Planning with a concentration in Urban and Regional Planning, and the other with MS in Computer Science related fields (with the focus on AI).
This position is fully funded for four years including tuition, eligible insurance, and stipends. Furthermore, our Ph.D. program is STEM-accredited program (https://dcp.ufl.edu/news/cipcodechange/).
- Master’s degree in the fields including but not limited to: Urban Planning, Transportation, Geography, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, etc.
- Excellent mathematical foundations, master basic intelligent algorithms and programming skills, excel in independent research, paper writing, and communication.
- Mission-driven, self-disciplined, teamwork, and good time-management skills.
- Applicants with publications are preferred.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a letter of intent, CV, and sample publications (if available) to Dr. Zhong-Ren Peng (email@example.com). For more information about the application process, please visit https://dcp.ufl.edu/academics/phd8/phd-admissions/.
Deadline: Sep. 15th, 2023, for students to start in Spring 2024, and Dec. 17th, 2023, for starting in Fall 2024.
Dr. Zhong-Ren Peng, Professor and Director of International Center for Adaptation Planning and Design (iAdapt), and former Chair of the Department of Urban and Regional Planning (https://dcp.ufl.edu/urp/) at University of Florida. His research interests include AI-enabled urban and regional planning, transportation and land use planning, adaptation planning for climate change, and information technology for planning. For more information, please visit his Google Scholar page at https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ngiXpvgAAAAJ&hl=en.
International Center For Adaptation Planning and Design (iAdapt) is an international knowledge-to-action exchange hub. The goal of iAdapt is (1) to understand the complexity and interdependence between built and natural systems in face of climate change and extreme weather events now and in the future, (2) to identify and assess adaptation measures with a multidisciplinary research team, and ultimately (3) to enhance adaptive capacity to strengthen the sustainability and resilience of an integrated built-natural system through a participatory approach with local planners, engineers, and government agencies. (https://dcp.ufl.edu/iadapt).
Professor and Director International Center for Adaptation Planning and Design (iAdapt)
School of Landscape Architecture and Planning, College of Design, Construction and Planning, University of Florida
PO Box 115706
Gainesville, FL 32611-5706
Phone: (352) 294-1491
Fax: (352) 392-3308