PhD admissions info
Frequently asked ?
All students seeking admission as an undergraduate or graduate student must apply through the University’s Office of Admissions
Applicants for admission should have earned an undergraduate (Bachelors) degree, a grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, and GRE scores of at least 146 verbal and 148 quantitative). International Applicants must also submit official TOEFL scores with a minimum requirement score of 80.
Applications for the Doctor of Philosophy program consist of two sets of documents, sent to the University of Florida Office of Admissions and to the Department of Interior Design as described below. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide complete documentation to the Office of Admissions and to the Interior Design Department.
Inquiries are welcome. Please contact Dr. Nam Kyu Park, Assistant Professor and Graduate Coordinator: (352) 294-1437 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send Directly to University Office of Admissions
Office of Admissions
201 Criser Hall
PO Box 114000
University of Florida -4000
Gainesville, Florida 32611
(352) 392-1365 ext.7320
(352) 392-2115 fax
- $30.00 Application fee for first-time applicants
- Application for admission
- Official transcript(s) of previous degree(s)
- – minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- GRE scores
- – Minimum 146 verbal + 148 quantitative
- TOEFL scores
- – Minimum 80
- Florida Residency Affidavit (for applicants seeking to qualify as a Florida Resident)
- Conduct Declaration (on application)
- Declaration of Financial Responsibility (international applicants only)
Send Directly to the Department of Interior Design
Office of the Dean
College of Design, Construction and Planning
331 Architecture Building
P.O. Box 115701
Gainesville, FL 32611-5701
A statement of intent describing the applicant’s motivation for pursuing a Doctorate of Interior Design degree at the University of Florida, their intended area of specialization in interior design, and potential alignment with the research focus of a Interior Design faculty member
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- A portfolio that demonstrates ability for an interior design program—Approximately 10-20 pages or slides (hardcopy or digital) (Students who have degrees in non-design areas are exempt from this requirement) (Please note that portfolios must be mailed in hard copy to the department.)
- Transcript copies
- Self-reported GRE scores
The Ph.D. Program Director reviews the completed application folder and then sends it to one of the Graduate Coordinators within the study specializations of each department. Their goal is to identify faculty member(s) whose research parallels the interest of the applicant. Once a match is made between faculty member’s research interest and the applicant’s, plus all Graduate School requirements are satisfied, the applicant can be recommended for acceptance, based on availability of space and resources.
The PhD Program considers applications for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.. Applications that are not complete by the deadline may not be processed.
If you are applying for a fellowship award, you must have your application complete by December 5th, 2015. Fellowship Awards are only available for students applying for the Fall semester, and are very limited. If you are not applying for financial aid you may continue to apply, as we have rolling admissions.
There are two ways to obtain application materials for admission to graduate study in Interior Design:
- You may download application materials to print (available below).
- Or contact the department to obtain application materials.
Online Application Materials