Master’s Admissions Info
Frequently asked ?
All students seeking admission as and undergraduate or graduate student must apply through the Registrar’s Office of Admissions
Applicants for admission should have earned an undergraduate (Bachelors) degree, a grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, and GRE scores of at least 1100 (verbal and quantitative).
Applications for the Master of Interior Design program consist of two sets of documents, sent to the University of Florida Admissions and to the Department of Interior Design as described below. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide complete documentation to the Office of Admissions and to the Interior Design Department.
Inquiries are welcome. Please contact Dr. Nam-Kyu Park, Assistant Professor and Graduate Coordinator: (352) 294-1437 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Michelle Matckie , Administrative Specialist I, (352) 294-1430 or email@example.com
Send Directly to University Office of Admissions
Office of Admissions
201 Criser Hall
PO Box 114000
University of Florida -4000
Gainesville, Florida 32611
(352) 392-1365 ext.7320
(352) 392-2115 fax
- $30.00 Application fee for first-time applicants
- Application for admission
- Official transcript(s) of previous degree(s)
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Florida Residency Affidavit (for applicants seeking to qualify as a Florida Resident)
- Conduct Declaration (on application)
- Declaration of Financial Responsibility (international applicants only)
• GRE scores
– 300 min. = verbal + quantitative
• TOEFL scores
–Paper-Based: 550; Computer-Based: 213; Internet-Based: 80
–Please note that Indian students are now REQUIRED to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. Follow the link for a list of countries that are exempt from TOEFL.
–The University of Florida’s school code for submission of TOEFL scores is 5812.
–You may substitute for TOEFL with:
- IELTS with a minimum score of 6; or
- MELAB with a minimum score of 77.
Send Directly to the Department of Interior Design
Department of Interior Design
University of Florida
P.O. Box 115705
Gainesville, Florida 32611-5705
(352) 392-0252 ext. 333
(352) 392-7266 fax
- A statement of intent describing the applicant’s motivation for pursuing a Master of Interior Design degree at the University of Florida, their intended area of specialization in interior design, and potential alignment with the research focus of a Interior Design faculty member
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- A portfolio that demonstrates ability for an interior design program—Approximately 10-20 pages or slides (hardcopy or digital) (Students who have degrees in non-design areas are exempt from this requirement)
- Transcript copies
- Self-reported GRE scores
Applicants who meet University of Florida requirements for graduate study are referred to the Department for consideration. The Interior Design faculty review and make recommendations on admissions decisions; final admission is determined by the Graduate Coordinator. The Statement of Intent, and the portfolio when available, are key pieces of the application package. They offer information on the applicant’s interests and competencies and therefore allow faculty to assess the applicant’s potential to succeed in our program. Future students may be granted conditional acceptance pending full satisfaction of requirements.
The Master of Interior Design Program only considers applications for the Fall semester to coincide with curriculum sequencing. Applicants with a non-design education will only be considered for the Non-Design curriculum track. Applications that are not complete by the deadline may not be processed.
Application deadline is February 1 for international applicants.
Students not requiring a visa are strongly encouraged to also meet this deadline but these applications will still be considered until April 30.
There are two ways to obtain application materials for admission to graduate study in Interior Design:
- You may download application materials to print (available below).
- Or contact the department to obtain application materials.
Online Application Materials