Ph.D. University of Manchester, UK, 1986, Construction Management and Computing;
B.Sc. (Hon.), University of Manchester, UK, 1980, Building Technology.
Computing in Civil Engineering Award, ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers), 2015;
University of Florida Research Foundation Professor, 2013;
Best Paper Award: “Foresight: A Structured Graphical Approach to Constraint-Based Project Planning”, the Second International Conference on Advances in System Simulation, SIMUL 2010, Nice, France, August 2010;
International Educator of the Year, University of Florida International Center, College of Design, Construction, and Planning, Senior Faculty, 2010;
Teaching Excellence Award, Rinker School, 1997;
National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, precursor of the Presidential Award, 1992;
Building Magazine Prize: award for the best performing student in the graduating class of 1980, University of Manchester, 1980.
Advanced Project Planning for the AEC industry; Computer-Based Modeling of Production Processes; Computer-Based Simulation of Physical Systems; Empirical Modeling Techniques (including artificial neural networks)
Faculty member at:
University of Florida,
University of Maryland,
National University of Singapore,
Research Scientist (summer academic employment):
Federal Highways Administration (FHWA), Turner-Fairbank;
Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), Tyndall;
Research Assistant, University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology, Department of Building Engineering;
Structural and petro-chemical engineering:
Phillips Consultants Ltd, Taylor Woodrow PLC, UK;
Foster Wheeler Ltd, UK;
Consultant to various construction organizations within the United States, Europe, and Asia.
Over 120 refereed publications. Sample of 10:
- Flood, I. and Nowrouzian, V., “Discrete-Event Simulation versus Constrained Graphic Modelling of Construction Processes”, in Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building, UTS, Vol. 2, No. 1, (2014), 10 pp.
- Flood, I., Bewick BT., and Rauch, E., “Rapid Simulation of Blast Wave Propagation in Built Environments Using Coarse-Grain Simulation”, in International Journal of Protective Structures, Multi-Science Publishing, London, Vol. 3, No. 4, (2012), pp 431-448.
- Lhee, S., Issa, RRA., and Flood I., “Prediction of Financial Contingency for Asphalt Resurfacing Projects Using Artificial Neural Networks”, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, New York, Vol. 138, No. 1, (2012), pp 22-30.
- Bewick, BT., Flood, I., and Chen, Z., “A Neural-Network Model-Based Engineering Tool for Blast Wall Protection of Structures”, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Multi-Science Publishing, London, Vol. 2, No. 2, (2011), pp 169-176.
- Flood, I., and Issa, RAA., “Empirical Modeling Methodologies for Construction”, in Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, New York, Vol. 36, No. 1, (2010), pp 36-48.
- Flood, I., “Towards the Next Generation of Artificial Neural Networks for Civil Engineering”, in Advanced Engineering Informatics, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Vol. 22, No. 1, (2008), pp 4-14.
- Flood, I., Issa, RRA., and Abi-Shdid, C., “Simulating the Thermal Behavior of Buildings Using ANN-Based Coarse-Grain Modeling”, in Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 18, No. 3, (2004), pp 207-214.
- Flood, I., Muszynski, L., and Nandy, S., “Rapid Analysis of Externally Reinforced Concrete Beams Using Neural Networks”, in International Journal, Computers and Structures, Pergamon Press, Vol. 79, No. 17, (2001), pp 1553-1560.
- Zhu, L., Schonfeld, P., Kim, Y.M., Flood, I. and Ting, C.J., “Waterway Network Analysis with Artificial Neural Networks”, in Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Engineering Design, Analysis and Manufacturing, Cambridge University Press, New York, Vol. 13, No. 5, (1999), 12 pp.
- Flood, I. and Kartam, N., “Neural Networks in Civil Engineering. I: Principles and Understanding”, in Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 8, No. 2, (1994), pp 131-148.
- Issa, R.R.I, Flood, I., and O’Brien, W., (Eds.), 4D CAD and Visualization in Construction: Developments and Applications, A.A. Balkema, Amsterdam, ISBN 90-5809-354-9, 2003, 287 pp.
- Flood, I. and Kartam, N. (Eds.), Artificial Neural Networks for Civil Engineers: Advanced Features and Applications, ASCE, NY, 1998, 291 pp.
- Kartam, N., Flood, I. and Garrett, J. (Eds.), Artificial Neural Networks for Civil Engineers: Fundamentals and Applications, ASCE, NY, 1997, 231 pp.
Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Sigma Lambda Chi Honor Society
Associate of the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology